Tuesday, July 29, 2008

So that is why they call it Friendship Bread

A friend of mine gave me a "starter" to bake Amish frienship bread. The whole concept is a bit gross., a baggie of milk, flour and sugar sits on your counter for 10 days until you bake it. Every day you have to smush the bag and on day 5 you add more flour, milk and sugar. Each bag ends up yielding enough to make 2 loafs of bread and have 4 more starters to give away to your friends.

I thought the name of the bread came from the fact that you were sharing it with your friends. However afer going thru our first round of baking I learned the true origin. You have to borrow things from your friends to bake the bread!

The first time it was baking day...the phones started to ring. "Can I borrow an egg?" "I need another loaf pan." "Do you have any more cinnamon?" "I only need 1/4 cup of sugar" "What size box of pudding am I supposed to buy" "Anyone want a starter?"

As the month as gone on the requests continue...."I'm going out of town for a few days, can you smush my bags?" "I'm on vacation for a week, can you leave me a new starter on my counter?"

I just ate a piece from my last batch for breakfast..thanks to all my friends for the contributions!

Anyone want a starter??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bread is good, isn't it?! Still, the idea of milk and eggs sitting out in a bag for a while is rather gross, no?!

Hope to see you this week...the kids all LOVED the park the other day.

Unknown said...

Um...yeah, no thanks. But I'll try it next time YOU make it! :)