Monday, July 21, 2008

Day Camp

Last week was Cub Scout Day Camp. Not usually a big deal, send your son off for a week of fun and enjoy the quiet time, right? In this house not so much. Day camp is a family affair.



My husband is the director of our local daycamp. The volunteer director. No pay other than the feeling of doing something good for the boys. I can't even begin, nor do I want to ,tally the hours he puts into this camp every year. Every year it gets harder to find parents to help. A lot take the position above. Hubby recruited friends (Mike, Julie, Dee he wouldn't have made it without you guys last week) that don't even have cubscouts this year to work day camp. Where are all the parents WITH cubs?? WE don't even have a cub scout. My oldest crossed over to Boy Scouts and my youngest isn't old enough for Cubs yet. Did I mention that I also worked at camp all week? Oldest worked too...he did get to earn service hours for boyscouts, so that is a good thing. And our 19 year old nephew, jobless for the summer, came from PA to help for camp. We all worked....in the 90+ degree heat.

We weren't the only ones feeling the pain. Seems like the same parents are the ones involved every year. Without those dedicated parents running stations and walking with the boys all week camp wouldn't be successful.



I think for the most part the boys that participated had a wonderful time. The parents all seemed happy as well. Except for a handful that nitpicked things all week. When you have busted your tail for months before hand it tends to be the nitpicky comments that stand out in your mind, not that positive comments.



Our nephew told Hubby that when he was little he thought camps "just popped up" overnite, now he knows (and appreciates!) all the work that happens behind the scenes.



So to my wonderful husband, who worked so hard to put together a camp for 150 boys for a week.... Good Job Babe. I'm proud of all your hard work and your dedication to our family. Even though the boys didn't participate in camp, they sure saw a wonderful role model in you. I'm sure the boys that did get to participate are very thankful for all your work as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, it's too bad when people who are not involved have to criticize everything. If it were me, I'd have told them "next year you can be in charge." Either that or they could stick their comments where the sun don't shine. :)

You guys do a great job. The cubs are lucky to have parents like you.

Anonymous said...

--cross post chatter--

hey Marcy:

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You commented on Martin's and the savings, and if it's worth it. I'd love to show you how I do it. I'll be updating my blog with more info on my Coupon Container,which takes shopping to the next level, I swear. But yes, even driving 13 miles one way, it's worth it. (Plus I spent so much in onw shot that I qualified for the gas discount of $0.40 per gallon at their gas station which is right outside the store..)

It really is worth it. I wish I had taken pictures of what I'd bought.....

Suzanne